Wednesday, 4 November 2009

OU Deadline Approaching!



With a deadline to meet by Friday, I must finish my essay, but there's just time to send a 'get well soon' message to my lovely Rose who phoned for some long-distance mummy advice the other morning.

'Mummy! A lump has come up on my neck overnight!'

'It's probably a gland.'
(Poor Rose got really clobbered by glandular fever as a teenager and it returned for a couple of repeat attacks afterwards.)

'You don't think an alien has laid its egg in my neck and I'll have to lure whatever's in there out with a piece of bacon, do you?'

'Er... no.'

A trip to the GP confirmed that no bacon is required, but that Rose's glands are doing a truly impressive job of fighting some lurgy.

I'm hope you feel better soon, darling.

Painting is 'November Sea' by Tom Tomos

17 comments:

JJ Beattie said...

I hope she feels better soon. I also have a sick Daughter...

Good luck for the essay.

Cottage Garden said...

Hope Rose gets better soon - I'm just getting over a nasty cold myself. Yuk!

The best of luck with your essay Chris.

Jeanne x

Wipso said...

Bacon sounds like a pretty good cure to me :-) Could just eat a bacon butty myself.
Hope she is much better very soon. A x

Flowerpot said...

poor Rose - it's horrible when you wake up with unexplained lumps!

Fennie said...

But what if it's a vegetarian alien?

muddyboots said...

never thought of swol'd up glands or glums as we call them here, might be an alien.

LittleBrownDog said...

Yes, hope Rose feels better soon. There seem to be a lot of these lurgies about at the moment. My glands sometimes do that too - it is a bit disconcerting. She hasn't had a flu jab, has she? They can sometimes rear up impressively after innoculations.

Debs said...

Poor Rose, I hope she feels much better soon. I had glandular fever as a teenager and it was no fun at all.

Love that painting.

her at home said...

ah poor thing !!

elizabethm said...

Fascinating, aliens respond to bacon? Never knew that. Hope she gets well and you finish. x

gaelikaa said...

Hope Rose gets better soon. I've had that problem too, it's not nice at all. Best of luck with the deadline!

Edward said...

I had glandular fever when I was a yout, and it's horrible. Hope she's better soon, and that you get on top of your pesky work!

Preseli Mags said...

I've got a poorly daughter too - no bacon required to lure anything out (all coming out fine on its own). I hope your Rose is better soon. I love Muddy's word for glands - swollen glums sounds brilliant. I might have those next time... with bacon on the side.

rachel said...

Our offspring, regardless of age, have that particular note in their voice when they ring because they Need Their Mum, don't they! And a little maternal clucking, comfort and reassurance is often all that's needed to help...

Calico Kate said...

Oh poor Rose. Hope she gets better soonest.
CKx

Protege said...

Hello, what an interesting blog.;) Sorry about your daughter not feeling well, I hope it will pass soon.;)
Thank you so much for stopping by my place.;)
xo
Zuzana

BT said...

I do hope your daughter has recovered and I just love love love that painting. Covet covet!!