Skip to main content

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’ 

It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been prescribed by the medical registrar and the wonderful palliative care team. My sister and I - ably assisted by our husbands and my niece - remain at her bedside throughout to protect and care for her. We do our best, but there are some sights I can never unsee, and spiteful cruelties I’ll never forgive. But those are stories for another day. 

No matter how many indignities are heaped upon her, Ma’s presence remains undimmed; she’s quick, lucid, sharped-tongued and funny throughout - and is absolutely crystal clear with every medical professional who comes near her that she would welcome a release from her suffering. 

She’s still Mum, who used to blaze down to our school to take on any wrong-doers on our behalf; tall, red-haired, a cracking figure in her stylish, home-made clothes, and those remarkable violet-blue eyes. She’s still Mum who doesn’t mince her words, the one who’d sigh even when my sister and I got 99% in an exam and tell us to do better next time. I stroke her arm, one morning and I’m roundly told to ‘stop touching me with your cold spider fingers!’ She’s Mum whose lightning-fast reply when asked by a member of the palliative care team if she has any religious affinity is, ‘Well, He’s not doing much for me, is He?’ And her occasionally ripe sense of humour, still has the ability to catch us off-guard. During her stay in hospital she’s had to cope with the reality that many of the nursing care assistants attending to her personal needs are young men from other countries and cultures. One afternoon, she is calmly reflecting on this fact. She looks angelic, propped up on her pillows, but suddenly the naughty smile flashes and she asks my sister and I a question so rude that it’s a good five minutes before either of us has stopped laughing long enough to tell her we’re not replying! 

Then, one lunch time, just after my sister has left for a break, Ma becomes so agitated that I don’t know what to do. I call the palliative care team who arrive within seconds and do a brilliant job of making Mum comfortable and calming me down. It’s suddenly very important for me to tell them what an extraordinary woman Mum is, that she’s travelled extensively, loved Peru, has sailed down the Amazon in small boat, that she was head cook at a small private school for many years, can make any plant grow. That she has grandchildren and great-grandchildren, that she’s always had our backs… and then I’m gently interrupted by a member of the palliative care team who tells me it’s time to call anyone who needs to be there. 

From the moment it became clear how very ill Mum was, we promised we wouldn’t leave her. That she wasn’t the little girl whose parents only collected two of their three younger children evacuated to Cornwall. That we wouldn’t abandon her. And so my sister and I and our husbands remain at her side through the long night. We talk about holidays, and Christmases, we laugh and we cry. We hold her hands - sorry, Mum, you couldn’t moan about my cold spider fingers then - we tell her that she’s safe. And just after sunrise, in a high room with large windows and views across to the house where she was born, Mum takes her last breath. 

Some time later, we walk out of the hospital into heavy rain. ‘The world’s crying too,’ says my sister. 

Our last photo together 

Mum chose not to have a funeral - she loathed them and asked that, instead, we celebrate her life by getting together as a family and having fun. Her direct cremation will take place early on Tuesday 12 March. We’ll be marking the occasion by sending all our love to her at 8 am. 


Fly free, Dottie Do. Always fabulous, always funny, always fierce. 
Thank you for showing us the way.

Doris Lilian May Stovell
March 1934 - Feb 2024

 



Comments

Lesley Cookman said…
What a woman. And what a family.
Chris Stovell said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Stovell said…
@LesleyCookman -thank you. That means so much to me. xx
Clare Chase said…
Crying for your loss, Chris, but inspired by your post too. Your mum sounds absolutely amazing, and you, your sister and everyone who helped your mum through her final hours clearly are too. My thoughts echo Lesley's. xx
Chris Stovell said…
@ClareChase thank you Clare and for you lovely messages throughout this awful time which helped keep me going even when I couldn't reply. Much love xx
Caroline James said…
What a lady! Mum sounds amazing. Remember the good times if you can, and the bad stuff at the end will fade. She will be so proud of her clever, compassionate daughters xx
Chris Stovell said…
@CarolineJames, thank you so, so much and for all your support throughout which I really appreciated. xx
Angela Britnell said…
A wonderful tribute to your amazing mother. I particularly love that you reminded all the hospital staff of what a full life she had lived and now will continue to do so through all of her loving family.
Claire McC said…
What a wonderful tribute. It sounds like your mum was an inspiring woman. I hope you can take comfort in the great memories you have. Love to you and your family. xx
Chris Stovell said…
@AngelaBritnell, thank you so much. It felt important because, alas, some of the nursing care assistants seem to have lost sight of that. Not, I hasten to add, the palliative care team who were outstanding throughout. xx
Chris Stovell said…
@ClaireMcC thank you, Claire. All mums are special? Mum was a very strong woman and a hard act to follow at times, but that was balanced by her ready wit and humour. We certainly have a rich store of happy times in the memory banks xx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting