Skip to main content

Liminal Space

It turns out that writing a book is not the first thing I’ll do in 2024. The first thing arrives promptly, on 2nd January. It happens amongst the slew of bodies in an everyday, overcrowded, overworked A&E department. It imparts devastating news about a precious loved one. It brings a flurry of all manner of scans and tests, sucks the air from normality and distorts time. We wait for days to pass and wish they were longer. This is not particular to us: we are where all families have been and will be again, so I have no wish to remind others of their pain or dwell on ours, but this is where we are, drifting on an uncertain tide.

My firstborn daughter celebrates a big birthday so, inevitably, I think back to her arrival when she brought sheer joy, utter terror and a fall of snow that seemed to symbolise how greatly my world had changed. Now, as Tom and I look after my daughter’s daughters, someone knocks on our bedroom door in the night and, shortly after, a small figure folds herself into me. ‘Sorry, Nana,’ she says. ‘I couldn’t sleep.’ ‘You don’t need to be sorry,’ I tell her, stroking her hair ‘It’s horrid when you can’t sleep.’. After a while, I take her back to her own bed. I visit the bathroom and notice my reflection in the mirror is shimmering strangely in the low light. Little Miss, has been to a party, I remember, and her hair glitter is now all over my face!

‘Come on,’ says Tom. ‘We can’t sit around waiting all the time.’ He’s right, of course. It’s too easy to do nothing in between the long road trips which have become our new normal. He suggests a trip to Canolfan y Celfyddydau, the Aberystwyth Arts Centre, where we have lunch, look at the sea and mingle with normal people. We also visit an exhibition, IMPACTArdrawiad, by artist Angharad Pearce Jones. At first, I’m too preoccupied by my own dark thoughts to engage, but gradually these twisted and imploded gates and railings draw me in, striking a chord in me that chimes with the space we’re currently inhabiting, this in-between zone.




Comments

Sarah S said…
Oh Chris, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Sending love and strength to you and reminders that your granddaughters are very lucky to have you to cuddle up with when they have a bad dream. Hope that lovely close relationship brings some comfort to you xxx
Chris Stovell said…
Sarah, thank you so much, and for taking the time to read and comment when you have so much your own plate. We're lucky to have our grandchildren, aren't we? They are a comfort and a reminder that life goes on. xx
KooKay said…
I don’t know you, but I do know you. That’s the power of writing. Yours. If humans can really send strength and love to each other, then I send mine to you and yours. Love and Light and Healing to you all.
Pondside said…
Oh Chris, this is a hard time. I am sending you real love - it supported me at a similar time and I hope it will support you.
Thinking of you very much right now.
Jane Lovering said…
A reminder that life can turn on a moment. Wishing you all kinds of love.
Chris Stovell said…
@Kookay thank you so much for your comment and for the wonderful gifts of strength, love and healing. I reply to you in a state of profound grief and I'm grateful for your lovely words,
Chris Stovell said…
@Pondside It's been so tough, tougher than I expected having navigated the loss of one parent. It just goes to show how difficult it is to predict grief's course xx
Chris Stovell said…
@Elizabeth Musgrave. Thanks you so much - it's all been so sad x
Chris Stovell said…
@Jane Lovering It certainly does. Thank you so much - it helps xx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc