Skip to main content

Black Holes and Bright Lights

Our plans to move closer to family have fallen flat, along with the market. Despite what feels like an endless round of cleaning, tidying and leaving the place in showroom condition every time we go away, there are no takers for our lovely house looking out across Cardigan Bay. We’ll have to be patient.

Ma’s needed a lengthy round of radiotherapy for a treatable skin cancer. My sister and her family take care of her for the first half and Tom and I takeover for the remainder. The Royal Marsden Hospital holds difficult memories for all of us; Tom was successfully treated there, but it was already too late for Dad when his pancreatic cancer was discovered. But it’s the unlikeliest of sights which brings sudden tears to my eyes when, as we walk past the hospital shop, I remember buying papers and small treats there for Dad when he was having his chemotherapy.

Ma, however, whilst trepidatious about her treatment, puts on a brave face for the entire week; she looks fab, either matching her earrings to her top, or the colour of her shoes to the pattern on her trousers. People gravitate towards her. In the waiting room - a club no one wants to belong to - Ma receives an offer of marriage from one of her gaggle of admirers. When her name is called and it’s her turn to see the radiotherapists, gales of laughter and peals of warm conversation ring out down the corridor from the room. It’s Ma at her best; funny, vivacious, as if she was walking into a party rather than having cancer treatment. I feel so proud of her.

Back home, Tom and I try not to let the house gloom dominate our thoughts. I wouldn’t even need the fingers of one hand to count how many times we’ve been to the cinema, as Tom’s not a fan, but he reluctantly agrees to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - which we both thoroughly enjoy - and, less reluctantly, to see Oppenheimer which, we both agree, is a tad too long. On both occasions our cinema experience is a little marred by the earsplitting volume of the soundtrack, and quite a lot spoilt by other people - yes you, the man who brazenly farted long and loud at us as we left the venue, and you, the elderly couple who scoffed sweets for the the entire three hours of Oppenheimer, rattling your bags of goodies and holding the contents up to the light for closer inspection.

In happier news, after a spell in the doldrums, I’ve rediscovered my running mojo and I’m really enjoying Parkrun again. The bonkers Poppit Sands race series is back (last week I managed to clock up a time faster than two of the times I set at my first series seventeen years ago - despite falling down a hole in the sand and rolling around on the beach) ...



...and I’m currently training for the Cardiff Half Marathon which marks its twentieth anniversary this year. I wasn’t planning to run this event for charity, having raised a considerable sum for Pancreatic Cancer UK in the past, because I feel as if I’m always dipping from the same well of generous friends, but sitting waiting for Ma at The Royal Marsden changed my mind. I’d like to give a bit back to the hospital which has done so much for my immediate family. Closer to the event, I’ll be setting up my Just Giving page and rattling my collection tin again, but for now it’s on with the training.




 

Comments

Clare Chase said…
It's so inspiring to read about your mum, Chris. I do hope she's fully recovered soon. It sounds as though there are several emotionally testing things going on right now. I'm so glad the running is going well again though. Lots of luck with the house sale - and with Cardiff Half training. x
Jean said…
Such a pity Chris that the housing market isn’t going in the right direction for you and your plans. You do live in a beautiful part of the country so I’m sure someone out there will love it as much as you and Tom have, sooner rather than later for you sake.
Your mum sounds such a cheery soul. I’m so pleased she appears to be doing well. Please let us know when you open up your ‘just giving’ page. Always happy to donate to anyone doing the hard work for a deserving charity. It’s the training that I find inspiring. ��‍♀️ ��‍♀️��‍♀️
X
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks, Clare - it's been one of those years. There's an awful lot going on, but my mum has been a real star. xx

It really is beautiful here and we've loved living here, Jean. It's time for us to move on but I hope you're right and someone will appreciate this lovely spot. My mum is very feisty and I really admire her strength and determination - she's certainly not going to let this get her down so I'll keep running and training for her sake. Thank you, I will. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc