Skip to main content

Out and Back

 

2022 has been an especially difficult and painful year for so many reasons and it won’t help to air them here. Besides, as my neighbour wisely says, ‘we are, all of us, in the shit, but some of us are in deeper than others.’ Still, the strain of the last nine months has been almost unbearable, so when - at last - we have some respite, we decide to take some proper time out and book not one, but two breaks. His and her choices, if you like.

Our first trip is to Norwich, and UEA where I studied. It’s Freshers’ Week when we arrive and it’s a delight to see the campus filled with eager young faces - they all look so poised and confident to me. It’s a far cry from when I arrived in what I thought was a very cool fake fur coat and my one suitcase. I spent much of that first week in a state of constant anxiety or close to tears, but there seems to be far more help and support for these young people which must be a good thing!

We visit the Sainsbury Centre, where I catch up on some favourite works (lots of Francis Bacon and Antonio Saura) then head in to town. We’ve treated ourselves to a short stay at the utterly lovely 38 St Giles Street, boutique bed and breakfast in a beautiful Georgian building in the very heart of the city. I’ve printed off some ‘Norwich Nooks and Crannies’ walks which we use as a basis for our wanderings; I thought I knew the city well, but it’s joy to discover so many hidden corners that I’d never stumbled across as a student. After all the walking, we reward ourselves with memorable meals at Benoli (parmesan croquettes - sublime) and Farmyard (quite possibly the best creme brûlée I have ever tasted).

After all too brief a visit, it’s on to the Cotswolds and the Bell Inn at Langford where we’re breaking our journey before heading back to West Wales. For me, the evening meal is a little disappointing (we later find out the gas had run out which probably didn’t help), but our room is quiet, very comfortable and breakfast is first class which more than makes up for it. Soft, buttery morning light bathes golden stone buildings in gentle sunshine as we pack the car. We’re only a few miles from Kelmscott, so we make the most of the weather by taking a short walk in the grounds of Kelmscott Manor - William Morris’s summer home, of course, and must-see for anyone with a passing interest in design, the pre-Raphaelites or social history.

Frankly, coming home, is a bit of a hard landing after all that luxury, but we have another break (rather more rugged - his choice) later in the year. And, in the meantime, I’m being a bit kinder to myself so I’ve stepped away from anything with a deadline or extra pressure. I’m running for pleasure, not for a particular race, I’m gradually self-publishing my previously published novels and novellas (next up, ‘Moonbeams in a Jar) and, *whispers* I’m pleased to find that taking some time out - turning off the white noise of persistent worry - has made space for some new ideas. I’ll plant the seeds and see which ones grow.

Comments

Flowerpot said…
Sounds great Chris especially self publishing- I’m embarking on that journey too! Xx
Chris Stovell said…
Really pleased to hear that, Sue - I've enjoyed breathing new life into my old titles and I went straight to KDP for 'Running Kind' and 'Sailing Kind'. I wish you every success with your venture. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc