Skip to main content

Chasing Lost Time

 

Two years and more have passed since Tom was awarded his PhD, so when his degree ceremony is finally able to take place, it’s a poignant reminder that during the months when our lives were on hold, time did not stand still. Besides me, Tom had chosen our surviving parents to be his guests, but his dad, Ken, is no longer with us, so my stepson - Tom’s younger son - is here in his place and to pick up the lost threads.

Lockdown wasn’t kind to either of our parents; it’s my 88-year-old Ma’s first outing in a large crowd and although she’s bursting with pride for Tom and relishing all the people-watching, she’s struggling with physical challenges. Ma, once a head-turning, tall, redhead is severely afflicted by osteoporosis and scoliosis; every step she takes is slow and careful and she’s now so small that whenever we have to move, I have to protect her from all the flying elbows and swinging handbags which threaten to knock her off her feet. Once seated, we can relax and enjoy the occasion. Graduates are presented in qualification order, and as the only PhD graduate, Tom’s first to be presented and - to our great delight - gets to join the great and good on stage for the entire ceremony. The three of us are beside ourselves with pride, although unlike Tom in his high profile and very visible position, we can afford to pace our applause for the rest of the afternoon!

Babies were born during lockdown, toddlers graduated to nursery and children at nursery became schoolchildren. I’m saddened by what we’ve all missed but when Ma returns with us to Wales for a break, she has a chance to reconnect with three of her great-grandchildren.


Tom and I are hoping to reconnect with sailing again this summer, but poor old Blue Nun is in a sorry state, mainly, again, thanks to the months when we simply couldn’t leave home. Tom’s made a great start on the remedial work but there’s a job that only I can do. ‘If you can just fit and hold the bolts on the inside,’ says Tom, ‘I can tighten the screws.’ Simple, you might agree. Except the task requires me to lower myself in a boat locker. I’m a small woman but it’s a tight fit, even for me, so there’s a real sense of triumph when we manage to complete the work. There’s a lot to do, but with a fair wind we hope it won’t be too long before we can get back out on the water


In the meantime, there are wide open spaces all around us and although we run and swim, we probably don’t do enough walking. Determined to put that right, we set off on the most beautiful April afternoon to walk at Foel Drygarn, an Iron Age hill fort with three Bronze Age burial cairns. It’s one of my favourite walks; there are stunning panoramic views, a vast, majestic skyline and, always, that strong sense of walking in the footsteps of the past. How, I wonder, as a gust of chilly wind catches me, did the people who lived here, in what would have been a densely populated hub, cope with the brutal elements and adversity in this exposed position? The answer suggests itself to me a little later on our descent, when Tom and I sit in the shelter of a rocky outcrop with the sun on our faces, springy turf beneath us and perfect peace all around us. I think of everyone who has ever sat in this same spot, people who have rested, loved or found respite from hardship and sorrows. Time’s river keeps flowing; we can’t swim against its current, but sometimes we can rest and recharge in the shallows.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc