Skip to main content

Spring Forward



Despite my firm belief that running doesn’t have to hurt, I admit that there have been a couple of half marathons when I’ve emptied the tank to the point of feeling sick. I was forced to withdraw from my last Llanelli half marathon with a knee injury. And this year, illness - three weeks of vertigo and sinusitis, then a pulled back muscle - has thrown my training plans into disarray. So, as Tom drops me off for the return of Cardiff Half Marathon, deferred from 2020, I have one aim only; to enjoy every moment of this wonderful occasion. I’m not setting a pace, I don’t have a finish time in mind, I’d simply like to get round and soak up the wonderful atmosphere along the way.

It’s a bright but very chilly morning. I walk through the castle grounds and I’m delighted to catch up with the She Runs Cardiff runners and speak to friends there. I meet my dear running buddy Helen and we head to our starting pen where we are amused to be complimented by a young man for still running at our great ages. ‘If you don’t mind me asking, ladies,’ he says, clearly fascinated, ‘How old are you both?’.

There’s a long wait for the start, but then we’re off and I settle in at a nice, comfortable pace. Tom’s waiting for me just past the 5k mark, and I’m so delighted to spot him in the crowd that I stop to give him a kiss and get told to hurry up because Helen’s in front of me! Today, however, I’m not hurrying, or going silly. I stick to my plan, I stop for water and to refuel and most of all I enjoy hearing the support from the wonderful crowd lining every step of the route, and chatting to other runners along the way. It’s brilliant.

The biggest and best surprise comes just as I need it most with a couple of miles to go. I hear my name being called and look up to find I’m right beside two dear friends, Ann - one of my Thursday Girls, (our very post-natal group) and her husband, Keith. They’ve travelled here from Surrey to cheer on their son, but it must be some sort of miracle that we’ve spotted each other in the vast crowds. Ann and Keith make me feel absolutely heroic so they both get a sweaty hug for thanks - poor things - and I feel a real spring in my step to get me to the finish line.

I come home in 2 hours 18 minutes, which is well within my standard finish times and just goes to prove that I don’t have to bust a gut to get a good result. Hey, I even manage 36/138 in my age group. Helen absolutely smashes it and finishes 1/8 in hers. It’s just a shame there’s no finisher photo of her in the hall of fame afterwards, I joke to her that next time we’ll have to shed 30 years or run in our underwear to get noticed, but nobody wants to see that! Joking apart, it’s a been a lovely race, I’ve enjoyed every moment and it’s boosted my race confidence no end. My grateful thanks to the organisers, the sponsors and to the brilliant volunteers who so cheerfully give up their time and make the event possible.

And in other news...
As an author, it’s always so lovely when readers take the time and trouble to leave a review for one of my books so it’s great to see 5* reviews coming in for Sailing Kind. I’m also moved by readers’ comments about how my books have touched them in some way. I’ve had such lovely feedback for Running Kind and it means so much when folks tell me they’ve been encouraged to run after reading it. Perhaps the happiest ending to one of my books, however, was when one very kind couple decide to give a loving home to a rescue greyhound after reading my novella, Only True in Fairy Tales. I’m delighted to say that Only True in Fairy Tales has now been re-edited, republished and given a beautiful new cover by talented young graphic designer, Isabelle Swan. Best of all, Isabelle has given centre stage to Gracie, the heroine, Eloise’s rescue greyhound. I love it and I hope you do too.








Comments

Clare Chase said…
So glad you enjoyed the race after all you've coped with recently, Chris! And I love the new cover for Only True in Fairy Tales - beautiful and eye-catching. x
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment, Clare. The race was a real reminder that not every half marathon needs to be a slog and it's really helped me rediscover what I love about running. I'm delighted with the cover - Isabelle has wonderfully captured the essence of the novella. xx
Jean said…
What a great blog, Chris. You actually make me feel the calmness you ran that race with. How wonderful to be encouraged by too old friends just when you needed a boost. We’ll done 👏
Karen said…
What a lovely uplifting post. I wish I could get into running, but I do take a very brisk, long walk every day - a habit leftover from having a dog! - rain or shine, and always feel better for it :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc