Skip to main content

Cover Stories

One of the most exciting moments for me, as an author, is that first glimpse of a new cover. All the hope, the dreams and the hours of hard work brought together and epitomised in a single image. I loved the cover of my first published novel, Turning the Tide, so much that I framed it and put it on my study wall. I have to admit, though, the the girl on the cover, cast away on a pile of rocks, looks nothing like the Harry Watling of my imagination. My heroine, Harry, is a fierce, angry, scared woman with a chip on both shoulders who’s prepared to take on the world to save the business her father started and wouldn’t be seen dead in anything except a pair of oily dungarees. When Turning the Tide went to Norway, Harry transformed again; her hair’s grown, so have her legs, and she’s wearing a teeny-tiny pair of shorts my Harry would never have had in her wardrobe.


Eloise Blake, the heroine of my novella, Only True in Fairy Tales, is a reclusive woman who’s been badly hurt and certainly isn’t waiting for Prince Charming. I like to think she might clobber him with the magic wand she’s clutching on the cover. In Large Print, Eloise is sporting a ‘cold’ shoulder’ and some red lippy but that downwards gaze suggests she might be smiling at Gracie, her rescue greyhound, so she’s in a good place, even if it’s not one I foresaw for her.

Every successful book needs a great cover, one that fits the genre and conforms to reader expectations… so, of course, when I was choosing a cover for my running book, Running Kind, I ignored conventional wisdom and - proving how little I knew about covers - decided to do something different, something original, and publish it with a very plain cover. Whilst my friends and family have cheerfully bought my book - thank you - I began to realise that because my cover didn’t fit the genre or conform to reader expectations, my book wasn’t reaching my target market. And, actually, it’s not just about sales - though of course I would like to sell gazillions of copies - but it’s also about spreading the word and encouraging more people to believe they can become the running kind because this message matters to me!

I turned, for advice, to multi-talented author, Rhoda Baxter who knows a thing or two about cover design and came up with a great new cover which tells readers at a glance that this is a book about running! I’m really happy with the new design and hope it will appeal to would-be or returning runners. Thank you, Rhoda and good luck, little book!


And finally...
Home Thoughts has been suspended during an especially busy period, but I plan to return to regular posts. Next up will be one in my occasional series of guest posts. I’m pleased to say that novelist, journalist and teacher of creative writing, Margaret James, will be here to talk about her work and her latest novel, The Final Reckoning.

Comments

Clare Chase said…
I love the new cover for Running Kind, Chris - it really stands out, and also seems to reflect the book's uplifting nature!
Chris Stovell said…
Ah, that's a lovely comment to find here, Clare, thank you! I feel I've done my best for my book now so l hope the cover resonates with new readers - time will tell! Cxx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc