Skip to main content

Breathing Space

Three-and-a-half-year old Bee is currently weighing up her career options and is torn between becoming a digger driver or a doctor. From the way she hurtles round the garden in her toy car, I’d say she needs to work on her driving skills, but she did receive a much-prized doctor’s kit for Christmas so I can confirm that she does very thorough examinations. She’s especially good at ears which is not surprising given that she’s on a long waiting list to have her adenoids removed and suffers with earache and hearing loss.

Shortly after my consultation with Bee, I take myself to my local GP because I’ve been laid low by the seasonal lurgy and a pain in my ribs which makes it hard to take deep breaths. It seems that I’ve coughed so much that I’ve damaged the intercostal muscles and the only cure is to take it easy for a while.

My first reaction is one of frustration; last year I ran 777 miles and my plan this year is to run 1000. With the Llanelli half marathon less than a month away, I’m worried about the effect on my training but there’s nothing to be done, I just have to be patient.

It’s taken me years to figure it out, but I’m beginning to realise there’s no point in banging away at closed doors. Professionally, I was disappointed last year with sales of my novella, Moonbeams in a Jar and suspect there isn’t a place for my gentle, small town fiction in the current market. However, I thoroughly enjoy my freelance work writing house stories for The English Home so I’m delighted to be working on a new commission for the magazine. The February issue, out now, has a feature on a particularly enchanting Sussex home which was a joy to write so it’s very satisfying to see it all come together.


Photographer: Jake Eastman
Styling: Lou Eastman

This year, rather than following the crowd or constantly measuring myself against other authors, I’m following my heart with my writing and giving myself some breathing space. As early in the year as it is, I’m already rediscovering the joy of writing and having fun again. The same goes for reading. I’m an avid reader and I’d be lost without my Kindle which enables me to take hundreds of books with me wherever I go. However, my enforced inactivity has reconnected me with physical books; I’ve had the luxury to sit down and enjoy the sensory delights of a real book and have especially enjoyed these:


Reveal. Interior Design as a Reflection of Who We Are by Harriet Anstruther (with more photos of her magical Sussex home as featured in The English Home Feb 2019)

The Almanac. A Seasonal Guide to 2019 by Lia Leendertz (recommended by Frances Oakley https://www.instagram.com/fgoakley/)

Poetry of Presence: An anthology of mindfulness poems edited by Phyllis Cole-Dai and Ruby R. Wilson (a birthday present from my dear friend, Julia McGuinness

Sussex (The County Books Series) by Esther Meynell

And finally, after recovering from my lurgy, I had the enormous pleasure of spending a morning with this little lady, our fifth granddaughter, a second daughter for my stepson Tom and his wife, Amey. Many congratulations to them. Welcome to the world, dear little girl.


Comments

Maggie Christie said…
I hope the ribs are better soon; that festive lurgy was a horror. Congratulations on another granddaughter! That's a lovely bit of news to start the new year.
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks, Maggie. Cor, wasn't it? I hope you are on the mend too! We must rearrange our coffee date (snow forecast at the end of the month! Maybe we'll need to give it a chance to warm up a bit!). Yes, lovely to sit and hold a new little one - we feel fortunate. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc