Skip to main content

Seeing Stars


The country lanes have been especially beautiful this year. Despite cool temperatures and frequent heavy showers, we’ve been able to get out and about running, cycling and walking with friends.


A combination of Romantic Novelist Association business and pleasure took us to Hereford last weekend. Our travels were somewhat curtailed by the car exhaust falling apart but thanks to the lovely folks at Kwik Fit who patched us up for no cost, we were able to visit Hereford Cathedral and see the wonderful Mappa Mundi. It’s one of those treasures I’d known about but hadn’t quite put myself out to see – and I’m so glad we did! It’s truly amazing and so touching.

'Beyond Limitations'. John O'Connor's sculpture in the Lady Arbour Cloister Garden

A rather less well-known document also went on view to the public this week. My third novel, Follow A Star has just been released on Kindle before its paperback publication in July. It’s the second in my Little Spitmarsh series, linked but not a sequel as such, to my debut novel, Turning the Tide (which is featured in June’s Kindle Monthly Deals for 99p). I really enjoyed writing this – I know I’ve given it my all, so it’s a case of waiting to see what everyone else thinks. If you’re moved to do so, please leave a review… unless, of course, you don’t like it in which case my family will thank you if you spare me your full and frank opinion – they’re the ones who have to persuade me to come out from under my desk. And with Follow A Star very much on my mind, I’ve started seeing it in all kinds of unlikely places… 



Comments

Jane Lovering said…
I so love Little Spitmarsh (am I allowed to say 'spit' given my dribble propensity?), you write such 'strong' places that I almost feel I could live there!
Preet said…
The Mappa Mundi sounds fascinating. Follow a Star may not be as famous, but I do believe it'll hold its own. Buck up Chris! All will be well and everyone will love Bill, May, and Little Spitmarsh like you and I do. :)
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks, Jane. It's always a wrench to leave Little Spitmarsh which I feel inclined to keep returning.

Aw! Thanks, Chanpreet - and the Mappa Mundi is absolutely wonderful, the illustrations are just lovely. Well worth a visit if you're ever over here.
Pondside said…
Congratulations, Chris! What an accomplishment!
Flowerpot said…
Am looking forward to revisiting Little Spitmarsh inJuly as I don't have a Kindle! xx
Flowerpot said…
Am looking forward to revisiting Little Spitmarsh inJuly as I don't have a Kindle! xx
Flowerpot said…
Am looking forward to revisiting Little Spitmarsh inJuly as I don't have a Kindle! xx
Hywela Lyn said…
Congratulations on @Follow A Star', wishing you many sales. I agree about the country lanes too, everything's been particularly green and lush this spring thanks, no doubt, to the combination of sun and rain!
Hywela Lyn said…
Congratulations on @Follow A Star', wishing you many sales. I agree about the country lanes too, everything's been particularly green and lush this spring thanks, no doubt, to the combination of sun and rain!
Chris Stovell said…
Many thanks, Sue and thank you Hywela Lyn for dropping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc