Skip to main content

Sleepers Awake!



Those of you who warned me about the stubborn nature of sinus infections were right as I now wade my way through a second course of grim antibiotics. Not much fun, especially in a week which has highlighted the ‘ticking time bomb’ of antibiotic resistance. My daughter, Lily, has sent me some interesting news about an alternative treatment for sinusitis which can only be described – look away if you’re eating – a bogeyectomy. Nice. I shall look forwards to that then.

On a happier and far more aesthetically pleasing note, we made it to see Matthew Bourne’s amazing production of Sleeping Beauty at the Millennium Centre. Just. Wet weather, road works and farm vehicles added an extra frisson to the timings of our journey, but we arrived at the venue with ten minutes to spare. Enough time for a comfort break, certainly – but, quelle surprise - I have to run up to the third floor before I find a queue for the Ladies that doesn’t have ten women in front of me and even then it seems from the deathly silence in each of the three cubicles, that the occupants are there for an extended nap!

More comfortable at last, we join another queue to take our seats only to find an outbreak of major ticket fail. Seat numbers are clearly printed on the tickets, there are plenty of helpful staff to direct you to the correct area and, as a final check, the sections numbers are also marked above each entrance… so how come at least a quarter of the people standing in front of us have to be turned away because they’ve rocked up at completely the wrong place?? Grrr!

Eventually everyone in the packed auditorium was seated and the performance began… Act One – 1890, The Baby Aurora. For the very first minutes, I was engaged but not transported by what to me seemed more theatre rather than dance … and then the fairies arrived to bestow their gifts and from that moment I was utterly mesmerised! The dancing, costumes, makeup and sets were simply breath-taking. How so many dancers leap and land so gracefully without making a sound is beyond me… but then I was one of those little girls who realised very early on in life that I wouldn’t make a ballerina in a million years. The whole production was ravishingly beautiful in every mood from ethereal to darkly sensual and left me speechless with emotion. My only regret is that with so much happening on stage – none of that ‘extras standing around pretending to be having a jolly conversation’ nonsense – I couldn’t follow everything at once and wished I could rewind it very slowly and experience it all over again. Which seems like a very good reason to do it all again one day!

I couldn’t take photos during the performance but this You Tube link to the official promo trailer - brought to my attention by lovely writer, reviewer and blogger, Kathryn Eastman, who also saw it - will give you a small flavour of this exquisite production. And if you get the chance to see it live, you’re in for a real treat.

Comments

Mandy K James said…
Sounds like a great experience, Chris! I have never been to the ballet, but I will ...one day. A bit disappointed that you weren't asked to get up and join in with your hula hoop fro a bit though. And blow your nose...(bogeyotomoy) X
Kath said…
The Bogeyectomy sounds like it could be a really gross kid's book. I know a few kids who would love to read that!

But on to more beautiful things... I agree that it wasn't until the fairies appeared to bestow their gifts that I was caught up in the world of Sleeping Beauty but from that moment on, I felt as if I were there up on that stage with them in the enchanted forest. It was captivating and over all too soon.
Frances said…
Chris, I do hope that you'll be fully A-okay very soon. It's great that you and Tom were able to see the fabulous Sleeping Beauty.

You've made me laugh with your description of those final hurdles required at the theatre before finally being able to take your very own seats as the house lights dimmed and the stage magic began.

xo
CL Taylor said…
I LOVE Matthew Bourne and have been lucky enough to see Swan Lake (half naked male swans *swoon*) and Cinderella (set in bomb torn London in WWIi). Would love to see Sleeping Beauty too, the man's a genius.
sheepish said…
Hi so glad you enjoyed the Ballet it sounds wonderful despite the holdups. Sorry to hear about your continued sinus problems, I can also recommend Acupuncture and Homeopathy. I really do prefer natural remedies wherever possible, especially as they do work. I was very sceptical about all these treatments as an ex scientist but they do work. Give them a try if you can.
Pondside said…
What a treat that must have been! I have been trying to find out if it comes closer to us than New York, but haven't been successful. It would be worth it to go to San Francisco or LA if it came this far.
I hope that dratted infection is soon vanquished!
Flowerpot said…
Oh Chris I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! I'm going to see it in Bristol in May - I'm a real Matthew Bourne groupie!
Chris Stovell said…
It was terrific, Mandy, I didn't even think about hula hooping as the evening went so quickly. I recommend both... but not the bogeyectomy.

Kath - let's write it! Know any good illustrators? I'd love to see Sleeping Beauty again, it was so beautiful.

Frances, thank you. It's hanging on, but hopefully I'll get better soon! Oh, it was so frustrating to feel that we'd made it in time only to be stuck in various queues. All was forgotten when the performance began.

Cally, I've been utterly won over! I was amazed that Matthew Bourne didn't train as a dancer until such a relatively late age - so, so talented!
Chris Stovell said…
Pondside, it's really is a treat if you do get the chance, take it! It's one of the most memorable live performances I ever been privileged to attend.

Flowerpot - I'm completely won over - I do hope to see more of his productions now! The theatre was packed so there's plenty of demand.




Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc