Skip to main content

The Random Tag


Blossom has tagged me to share six random things about myself. After a completely cr*p week everything feels pretty random at the moment so, off the top of my head:-

1. I am a tad under 5’4’’ tall.

2. Yesterday my lovely daughters, Lily and Rose, sent me a surprise gift to cheer me up after ‘Fighting the Tide got rejected. A bouquet of roses and lisianthus arrived together with a copy of the latest Louise Rennison’s confessions of Georgia Nicholson, ‘Stop in the Name of Pants’. I may have work to do on the writing front but I am very fortunate to have such wonderful daughters.

In the same post a framed photo arrived that Rose and Si had taken during their stay with us. It shows Tom and me looking like Pooh and Piglet walking down the beach hand in hand, our backs to the camera and says a lot about us. My thanks to Si who thought of the idea and chose the frame – what a nice man!

3. In a couple of hours time I am off to sea again and I’m pretty apprehensive after our boat ‘ La Reve’ (Ha! One of those great misnomers) nearly sank off a rocky Welsh headland last Thursday. La Reve is stranded at Fishguard at the moment. We plan to replace the leaky pump which nearly sent us to a watery grave last week and sail the boat back on the early tide tomorrow morning. There are lots of things that might not add up in this equation so I’m trying not to think about them. The good news is that I think I’ve found something to solve my seasickness. ‘Traveleeze’ seemed to hit the spot – either that or I was just too damn scared to be sick.

4. Three things I have laboured over:
Lily – 23hrs
Rose – 17 hrs
Fighting the Tide - 17 months.

5. The most enjoyable race I’ve ever taken part in was the Epsom Oddball Perch over Epsom Downs. 6.25 miles of pure adrenaline and exhilaration.

6. I have just finished reading this
Sheesh! He’s been a naughty one.

Well, I told you they were random. Anyway it’s time to pass the baton on. The rules, to remind you:
Link to the person who tagged you.
Post the rules on your blog.
Write six random things about yourself.
Tag six people at the end of the post – and let them know with a comment on their blog.
Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Okay, Flowerpot, Mountaineer, Preseli Mags, Bayou, Cowgirl, Lawyerlady – over to you. Me, I’m running away to sea again.


Image is another of Tom Tomos' Sea series prints. Number IV.

Comments

Flowerpot said…
Chris I'm so sorry about your news I really am. Oh I know how you feel and it is so hard. But on the bright side - try another agent as sono as you feel able, and don't give up. Adn you have wonderful daughters and a wonderful Tom and great friends so life isn't all bad. I will ahve to get my thinking cap on about the tag... hope the next sail goes well. Take care!
Blossomcottage said…
Enjoy the sail and remember it is only one person point of view with the book DO NOT GIVE UP!My neices husband did not and although his book only has a small run from little acorns etc.
thank you so much for joining i enjoy your random things what a lovely family you have.
In answer to your question I don't think I was really naughty at school just like to have a bit of fun. the singing was funny there were about 15 of us doing it and I must say it did make the song difficult for the other the sing it correctly!
Blossom
Anonymous said…
How lovely to received a surprise gift. It's always good to cheer one up.

I imagine you are apprehensive about the next trip to sea. Do take care.

CJ xx
Frances said…
Chris, I know that your book will find a publisher!

Tom's print is wonderful to look at. (I used to do etching, aquatint, drypoint. What techniques does Tom use?)

And ... may your sea voyage be buoyant and even calming.

xo
Running away to sea again? Did I really read that, you mad, mad woman, you...

Such disappointing news about FTT, but as others have said, it happens to the best of us - often several times, unfortunately. Try not to let it get you down too much - have a little wallow, then as soon as you feel able, try another agent. You've written a whole book, which is an amazing feat in itself - I'm sure someone out there somewhere will snap it up (and we'll all buy it and send it soaring up the bestseller charts). I know I've said it before, and it's probably not a lot of help, but I'm frequently amazed by some of the things that do get published (and not in a good way, I mean). I'm sure it often takes a while (not to mention several agents) for lots of writers to see their books published. Your writing is invariably excellent, honest, warm and wise - it will happen, Chris. It will.

Onwards and upwards! And in the meantime, keep out of the way of that swinging boom.

xxx
Milla said…
yes forget fighting hte tide, keep the bloody faith woman!!! vilely disappointing to be sure but keep cheerful, give it distance, don't take it personally and enjoy the flowers!
Sam Fox said…
Blimey, matey! BE CAREFUL out there! All sounds very brave, and I soooooooooo empathise re the seasickness, I am terrible AND I'm a Pisces. Really sorry re Fighting the Tide, but do NOT under any circs, give up.... and revel in that family!

Righto, baton grasped, off to scratch head on randomness over at mine....
You mean you DO get sea sick and you still go on the boat . . . never again for me.

Lovely flowers from you daughters very thoughtful. As for the book what has happened does not signal the end - this is merely a stage in its journey.
Sorry about the rejection but what lovely daughters you have to be so thoughtful.

I think I would like to read that book too.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc