Skip to main content

Wisdom After The Event

Twelve days before the Llanelli Half Marathon and two and half years since my last visit, I see my GP. The ongoing cold/cough/lurgy I’ve had since Christmas shows no sign of clearing up any time soon mainly, it turns out, because it’s a chronic sinus infection. I mention my race and receive a long, hard look in return but the GP doesn’t actually tell me not to take part.

Race day arrives and the chilly conditions are perfect. I absolutely love this route which is an ‘out and back’ along the coastline beginning and ending at Parc y Scarlets. There’s a great atmosphere and the camaraderie among the runners is fantastic. For the first six and a bit miles I have an absolute blast and clock up excellent times at the 5k and 10k marks… and then, at mile seven, I feel sick and faint. For the first time ever in a race, I wonder if I should retire.

A couple of sweets later and I decide I’m well enough to press on. Six miles isn’t so bad, I tell myself, it’s a distance my dear running friend Helen and I run without blinking. I press on… three miles to go… I imagine myself three miles from home on any of my usual routes, but every step’s so hard it might as well be thirty miles. By the last mile, I’m really hurting - I’ve got absolutely nothing left in the tank. A young woman I met at the beginning of the race catches up with me, puts her arm round my shoulder and her kindness gives me that all-important boost to get over the finishing line. Tom’s there waiting for me and I burst into tears, but I’ve done it coming in at a tad over 2:10 and with perfectly respectable overall positions.
Knackered and tearful at the finish!

With my goodies, feeling a bit happier.
Two days later, I’m feeling so ill that I’m back to the GP where the nurse practitioner gives me probably the sternest talk I’ve had in many a long year about the folly of running with an infection. She tells me I’ve given my immune system an unnecessary battering and orders me to take absolute rest for a minimum of a seven days. With hindsight, I realise I’ve probably been a bit reckless… so to my dear family and friends and everyone who said, ‘are you sure you should be doing this?’ The answer is, ‘sorry, no I probably shouldn’t have done it but the temptation of bagging my twelfth half marathon was just too great to resist.’ I have, however, learned an important lesson and next time I feel this ill, I promise I’ll put my feet up instead!

Comments

Flowerpot said…
Well I think I would have done the same thing, so you're not the only one! Fantastic achievement though so well done you - and take it easy now! X
Chris Stovell said…
Thank you so much, Sue. It makes me feel better that it's not just me. Yes, I'm definitely taking it easy for a little while... I don't want to be told off like that again! xx
Maggie Christie said…
I'd have done it too. I suspect your GP realised there was little point in telling you not to run. It's a fantastic achievement and a very good time too! Congratulations on Number 12. xx
Chris Stovell said…
Oh good - definitely not just me then, Mags! And, yes, I think that was the GP's thinking... the nurse practitioner was much stricter! Thank you so much - I'm still pleased to have done it even though I'm paying for it at the moment! xx
Clare Chase said…
Poor you! I do hope rest and recuperation now will put you back on track. Charlie, my runner husband, would also have done the same as you, I’m sure! It’s so hard when you’ve worked up to, and looked forward to, something for so long to just stay at home. And I’m sure it’s tricky to know just how your body will react until you’re actually out there, doing it! Take care and get well soon! xx
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks Claire, that's about the strength of it; after all the hard work and training it's very hard to take the decision not to run... so I carried on anyway. I was flying for the first half so it was a shock when it all caught up with me. Thanks for your good wishes, Cxx
Jean said…
Chris, I’m sorry you’re feeling so I’ll, but taking it easy now I’m glad to hear.
This may have come at just the right time for me!
We’re here in Colorado, Lauren and Ed are joining us on Saturday and I sooo want to ski, but I broke my collarbone 6 weeks ago and am not sure whether or not I should.
I think your message might make me think more about my decision. 😊
Get well soon Chris. Xx
Chris Stovell said…
Oh Jean, I didn't realise you'd been in the wars. It's a tough one, especially when you're longing to ski and I was absolutely determined to run this race! However, I'm definitely listening to my body in future. I've been really under the weather since the race and, because I struggled so much in the second half, I ran awkwardly so my left hip is sore. Hopefully, with rest, I'll be up and running again soon but only when I've fully recovered. See you how feel, you'll know whether or not you're doing the right thing. Hope you enjoy the holiday whatever, and thank you! Cxx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc