Skip to main content

The Difference the Diff Made.

After ominous forecasts for strong winds, race day dawns with cool temperatures, persistent drizzle but no wind. Hurrah! Tom and Ma head off to secure a good spot to watch the runners and I walk through Cardiff in my running gear, an old jumper to keep me warm and a tent-like rain poncho. There’s half an hour to go before I can enter my race pen, forty-five minutes before the elite runners set off. I faff around for a bit, skipping and stretching, brave the portaloos which are surprisingly ok and leave my jumper and poncho to be recycled. Then it’s time to take up my position in my pen.

This point - the long wait for the starting klaxon - is a time for reflection. I think about Dad, I think about other families who have lost loved ones to pancreatic cancer, I think about my grandchildren and the future. I worry about how vulnerable we all are, some 20,000 runners and the spectators who’ve turned out on this damp day. I fret about about an outbreak of runners trots.

AND THEN



I remind myself how bloody hard I’ve worked for this race. I’m as fit as I can be and I’m not going to let race nerves get in the way of all that training. A couple of guys start chatting to me, we wish each other good luck as we move slowly forward and I tell myself I’m going to enjoy every minute of this race. And we’re off to cheers, plumes of flames flaring up from burners and loud applause. The crowd always raise the atmosphere at the Cardiff Half Marathon. They line the route, shouting encouragement, offering jelly babies, high fives and cheers. The best bit though is when I get to mile 6 and there are Tom and Ma who shout my name so loudly the people around them clap and join in too. Seeing them gives me the boost to pass the halfway mark and then it’s the count down to the finish.

My phone pings as I collect my medal and goody bag - Lily has sent me my time and results and I’m thrilled with the result: 2 hours, 6 minutes, 23 seconds. 30th in my category of 279 women, 7720 overall position out of some 20,000 runners.
Most importantly, thanks to the very generous support of other people. I’ve raised £455 for Pancreatic Cancer UK which will certainly help make a difference.

And finally, I’m delighted to add that I’m one of the featured contributors in the November issue of The English Home. I drove the car by myself today (which is a huge step for me) and it’s also my lovely Rose’s birthday. What a week!


Comments

Clare Chase said…
Very many congratulations on the fantastic run, Chris, both in terms of time/placing and the achievement of all the funds raised. I’d love to get hold of a copy of The English Home – I will look out for it in town. x
Chris Stovell said…
Thank you, Clare, but it's thanks to people like you who gave me such fantastic support that helped me get there. Thank you. Cx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc