Skip to main content

And You May Ask Yourself

‘Mummy’ says Rose, not quite believing it herself, ‘all your and Tom’s babies have babies of their own now!’ We’re delighted to welcome our fourth grandchild, a beautiful daughter for my younger stepson and his fiancee, which does indeed mean that our children have their own children now, yet we can’t help but look at each other and ask - as in Talking Head’s ‘Once in a Lifetime’ which is on constant repeat in my head at the moment - how we got here. Neither of us feels any different from when we met, yet here we are!

I’ve found myself in some interesting places over the last few weeks. The Poppit Sands race series began in true bonkers form on a wet, cold evening with a slog through mud, across stepping stones and the seemingly endless trudge along the beach. The series marks a year since I met my wonderful running buddy Helen who beat me by a minute and several places!


Two days later,
I was treated to a splendid day out in London by my very dear friend Jill to mark my suitably grandmotherly birthday which is coming in November. After coffee in a cool courtyard, we wandered over to Burlington House and the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition where we had a wonderful time deciding which of the exhibits we would - or wouldn’t - take home.

 

Jill had planned a very special treat for lunch and took me to Hix Mayfair at Brown’s Hotel which was quite simply divine and I can assure you I enjoyed every mouthful and every moment!


From London we went to Epsom Downs to catch up with our grandson who is visiting from Canada with his mum and dad. We spent time with Ma and Tom’s dad, met our newest little lady in Sussex and, having seen Bee and Lily in Cardiff on the journey down, we went home via Bristol to see Joy and Rose. After twelve days away in the last three weeks, and with some very happy memories to look back on, we find ourselves at home with some much-needed time to catch up with ourselves. Letting the days go by? Well, maybe not just yet…


Comments

Teresa said…
An Happy and Feel good Post.
Not because of babies - which would be more than suffice.
But because it's happening to one of the best couple I know.
Enjoy. Have Fun. Run. Love. Eat....
Yours,
Teresa
Chris Stovell said…
Ah, you are very kind Teresa - life is full of ups and downs but we've been very fortunate indeed over the last few weeks. xx
Frances said…
Well, Chris, I am a huge Talking Heads fan...even remember the days back when I lived in my prmitive SoHo loft and knew David Byrne also lived in the neighborhood because you'd see him at the yoghurt shop and so forth.

You and Tom have been really on the move...not just on foot. Wow! So many more adventures to go.

It's grand to learn of the upcoming publication of your novella! xo
Chris Stovell said…
Wow! I love hearing about the folks you've come across, Frances - so many interesting stories! Yes, there's been a lot going on here. I wouldn't mind a few quiet weeks now. And thank you xx
Flowerpot said…
Great news all round, Chris - I love Talking Heads too! Hope you have a we'll earned rest X
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks Sue! You'll enjoy Frances's story above too then! xx
Clare Chase said…
So lovely to read your news, Chris – and many congratulations on the arrival of the latest member of the family! Wonderful photos too. x
Chris Stovell said…
Thank you Clare, lovely to hear from you. I hope to get back to some writing now! xx
Jean said…
Lots of lovely adventures Chris. I know the feeling though when the family are not on your doorstep it can be rather hectic. But we'll worth it.
Chris Stovell said…
It's been brilliant, Jean - but, yes, like you we're clocking up some miles keeping in touch with them all. Cxx

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc