Skip to main content

At Home and Away

Lalalaa! March 1st, my wedding anniversary, we’re off for a mini-holiday and I’m happy. So happy, in fact, that I feel a sudden urge to hula-hoop before hopping in the shower. So what if I’m in my nightie – who’s going to see? And, yes, since I’m now quite proficient at this hula nonsense, let’s pump up the volume – Lana Del Rey, in fact, Off to the Races, whilst I channel my inner Rihanna. Then - dear Lord - I get the feeling I am not alone. A male neighbour (not many of them about round here, I can assure you – but I’ve found one) is looking utterly traumatised by the horrible spectacle, so I gather up my hoop and make a dash for cover – not easy when you are wearing something resembling an enormous crinoline.

Luckily for me, Tom and I are off on our mini hols at The Quay  thanks to the girls and their partners. Deganwy in North Wales is a three hour drive away, meandering through the mountains and some very beautiful scenery. In some ways I’ve got a bit used to beautiful views, but the location of the Quay is truly stunning. The weather’s glorious too; we walk in the sunshine, swim in the hotel pool and round off the day with an excellent meal in the  restaurant. All the staff we encounter are friendly and helpful, but I am especially charmed by the lovely Spanish waiter who greets us at breakfast (which, incidentally, is truly delicious) with a cheery ‘Hello Couples!’
View of the Liver Building from inside the Tate


Since we’ve come all this way
we’ve decided to pop over to Liverpool, a first-time visit for me. The drive up along the North Wales coast is fascinating and takes us through places like Llandudno which have previously only been names on maps to me. Reaching the Wirral, where we’ve booked into a Premier Inn, I’m delighted to spot Port Sunlight village. I’ve cited this in so many history essays as an example of Victorian philanthropism that it’s good to see it at last! In Liverpool we explore Albert Docks, visit the Tate, look at the shops… and bump into Tom’s brother… who lives in Surrey but is here on a business trip. Amazing!

We’ve packed a lot in, but one thing I forget to pack up as we leave is my make-up bag so I would like to say a huge thank you here to the amazing Pam at the Premier Inn Bromborough who sent it back to me First Class. Thanks, Pam – you’re a star!

And talking of stars, look at this lot; the 2012 RoNA winners including Choc Lit’s very own Christina Courtenay, winner of the RNA Historical Romantic Novel of the Year 2012 and Jane Lovering, winner of the RNA Romantic Comedy Novel of the Year 2012. Congratulations to all of them! And if you’d like to help decide who will win the overall prize of Romantic Novel of the Year – and be in the draw to win an iPad2 you can vote here!


Comments

Milla said…
I love reading your blog each week and your wee holiday sounds just the ticket - too often are YOU the hotel that it must have been just great to have someone else making the sheets.
Chris Stovell said…
Oh shucks, thanks Milla. And I can tell you it was FAB having someone else making the bed and cleaning the bath for a change!!
Jenny Beattie said…
That sounds wonderful but forgetting your make up bag? Oh what a trauma... or is that just me?
Chris Stovell said…
Jenny, it's funny but I felt quite insecure without it. It's not that there was anything precious in there, but it's surprising how the cost of replacing long-standing items like a decent mirror and a couple of good brushes adds up. Plus I felt naked!
Jane Lovering said…
Sounds like you had a brilliant break Chris, but missing the RoNAs? Tut tut tut... We had a few drinks on your behalf though, obviously - wouldn't want you to miss out totally...
Chris Stovell said…
I was sorry to miss the RoNAs too, Jane. At least my head was grateful that I watched the virtual RoNAs instead.
Fennie said…
I am still wrestling with the hula-hooping incident - but so glad you had a delicious break.

Your pesky verification words as always are truly indecipherable to the average passer-by who has been taking course in Russian handwriting.
Chris Stovell said…
Sorry Fennie - but not my fault! Google made me do it... the verification thingy not the hula hooping obviously.
Pondside said…
Happy Anniversary! What a great way to celebrate - a getaway is always a treat.
You can get rid of the verification words by going to your settings to shut them off, if you like.
Happy anniversary. I'm glad you both had such a lovely trip and that your make-up bag was returned to you. How incredible that you bumped into your brother-in-law!

I was thrilled Pia and Jane won their awards, congratulations to them.
You came up here and were so close and I didn't get to meet you - bangs head on wall, then realises that this does quite fit with romantic anniversary celebrations. Glad you had such a good time. Come again!
Chris Stovell said…
Thanks Pondside, but then I get lots of messages from folks wanting me to look at their bottoms or sell me something (sometimes both) so I'm inclined to keep it for now!

Debs, it really was unbelievable! Yes, it's thrilling for Pia and Jane and for Choc Lit.

Elizabeth, I see now, having looked you up how very close we were. Also missed a dear friend in Ellesmere Port. I can see a longer visit is required!
Maria said…
I have a dream when the kids grow up, of himself and meself going away for weekends and being able to travel around a bit. Right now we're up to our necks in family responsibilities. His mum (aged 83) and our kids (aged 16 to 8 and there's four of them) We love them to bits of course but you know what I mean. Oh well, maybe some day....
Unknown said…
Wow. Fancy bumping into your brother-in-law. How amazing is that!

Love that picture of the Liver Building.

Glad you had such a great time.
Flowerpot said…
Much deserved holiday I know Chris - and what a nice lady to send your make up bag! I would have felt wobbly without mine too! x
Chris Stovell said…
Maria, you've got both sets of responsibilities, haven't you? Perhaps someone will let you have some time off? Here's hoping so anyway.

Shirley, you couldn't make it up, could you?

Thanks, Sue - I was!!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Blended families come with conflicting loyalties and at Christmas time nearly everyone has somewhere else they feel they ought to be. Throw partners into the equation and it gets even more complicated. Since Tom and I aren’t especially hung up about Christmas we’re happy to let our children go with the strongest flow, but I have to say it was a great delight to have the girls and their partners staying with us this year. When such moments are few and far between they become very precious. My stepsons weren’t far from our thoughts either, not least because we had the very happy news on Christmas Day that my elder stepson and his girlfriend had become engaged. Congratulations Dan and Gill, here’s wishing you every happiness together. Tom and I end a year that has seen the fruition of many years work, both of us crossing important thresholds within weeks of each other. I’m really looking forwards to seeing Turning the Tide published next year and it’s been so satisfying, after al

Reconnecting

I hadn't realised it until now , but it’s probably no coincidence that my last post was about our trip to Norwich, a city I’ve loved since studying at UEA. I wrote, then, that coming home was a hard landing, a feeling that took me completely by surprise as it’s been such a privilege to live in this beautiful, remote spot on the very edge of the west Wales coast. A trip to Skye at the end of October - Tom’s choice - with Ma, was a truly lovely holiday. The weather was kind, the colours of those breathtaking seascapes will stay with me, as will all the happy memories we made that week. And, because our small cottage had been so beautifully modernised and worked so well for the three of us, it was easy to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere different. If travel doesn’t broaden the mind, it certainly brings a new perspective. By the end of the year, Tom and I had decided that it was time for a change, time to move closer to a town (we are neither of us, as they say, getting

Fly Free, Dottie Do

‘How many days to my birthday?’ Ma asks. I do a quick calculation. ‘Eighteen,’ I reply. ‘Eighteen days until your ninetieth birthday.’ Ma pulls a face and shakes her head. Every sentence is hard work for her now, when each breath is a struggle. ‘You’ll have to write a book about this, you know,’ she says, with one of her quick, mischievous smiles. ‘“Carry On Dying”. Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry.’ The smile fades. ‘Who knew,’ she adds wearily, ‘that dying would be such a palaver?’  It’s only eleven days since Ma was diagnosed with a high-grade, aggressive lymphoma, four days since she was overwhelmed with pain and breathing difficulties and was admitted as an emergency to hospital. Until a few weeks ago, she lived completely independently; shopping, cooking, cleaning and tending her much-loved garden. The deterioration in her health is shockingly rapid. The eight days preceding her death are a living hell, a constant battle with the ward staff to get Ma the pain relief she’s been presc